Re: [ferret_users] vector representation

Dear William, Ryo, etc.,

Ryo Furue schreef, Op 04/19/2011 02:14 AM:
>> Is it possible to get vector representation output
>> from Ferret (into the metafile)? If the metafile
>> already contains vector data, how do I decently convert
>> it to PDF?
>
> The metafile is a vector format.  The problem is (as you
> guessed) that you convert a vector image to a raster image.
>
>> gksm2ps  [. . . metafile to PostScript]
>> convert -density 250 [. . . PostScript to PDF . . .]
>
> The convert command is converting the vector image
> in your PostScript file to a raster format and embedding
> it in a PDF file.  (I don't know what happens if you
> omit the "-density" option.  Convert may be clever enough
> to perform a vector-to-vector conversion.)
>
> I normally use either the ps2pdf or pstopdf command to
> get a vector image in the PDF format.
> (I don't know the difference between the two commands.)

You are right, the postscript file indeed is a vector image (I can zoom in arbitrarily without pixel-ugliness). Thus it must happen during conversion with convert. pstopdf does convert with vector representation conserved. I think that this is the way to go.

Now for an option to disable antialiasing in pstopdf, I might read the gs man page for this, since pstopdf is a wrapper around ghostscript.