Re: [ferret_users] vector representation

Marco,

> Is it possible to get vector representation output
> from Ferret (into the metafile)? If the metafile
> already contains vector data, how do I decently convert
> it to PDF?

The metafile is a vector format.  The problem is (as you
guessed) that you convert a vector image to a raster image.

> gksm2ps  [. . . metafile to PostScript]
> convert -density 250 [. . . PostScript to PDF . . .]

The convert command is converting the vector image
in your PostScript file to a raster format and embedding
it in a PDF file.  (I don't know what happens if you
omit the "-density" option.  Convert may be clever enough
to perform a vector-to-vector conversion.)

I normally use either the ps2pdf or pstopdf command to
get a vector image in the PDF format.
(I don't know the difference between the two commands.)

> Please, only send plain text messages and open specification
> documents.Don't write your reply above mine, and cite only what
> you need to cite.

That's a good practice, which I normally adhere to.

Cheers,
Ryo