Re: [ferret_users] Installation Problem

I guess it's bash problem, check wich one you are using to

i use ubunto so this would work

when you had installed ferret it was show that you got different bash script
check the script for csh system

in your .bashrc put : source /usr/local/ferret_var

your ferret_var should be :

#! /bin/bash
# ferret_paths_template for those running the bash shell
#
# ferret_paths_template    11/91 & 4/92
# Template for setting up the FERRET environment
# updated for FERRET version 3 2/93
# Mod 10.93 *jd* fix for SunOS LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# Mod 03.94 *jd* for XGKS - remove reference to ATCgks
# Mod 05.97 *jd* add AIX-required environment var XLFRTEOPTS
# *jd* 4.27.99  - add FER_WEB_BROWSER
# *jd* 4.27.99  - add FER_EXTERNAL_FUNCTIONS
# *kob* 5.99 - change dir for FER_EXTERNAL_FUNCTIONS
# Thanks to Brent McDaniel 1/28/01 for bash template
# *acm* 11/07  change FER_DSETS to reside under FER_DIR by default

#
# If you are installing FERRET for the first time at your site we ask
# that you please notify us as outlined in the Ferret Installation Guide.
# Note the suggested ways to contact us and to get support, listed on the
# Support page under the Ferret Web page http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/
#
# Modify this to suit your system and place the result as file `ferret_paths'
# in another directory set up to hold login initialization scripts.
# `/usr/local' is the suggested choice.
# Users of FERRET should include the command
#  `source /usr/local/ferret_paths'
# (or wherever you have located the ferret_paths file) in their .bash_profile.
#
# The environment variable FER_DIR should be the pathname of
# the directory named `ferret' you created to install the FERRET software.

# You may want to customize the pathname of the `ferret' directory:
export FER_DIR=/usr/local/ferret

# The environment variable FER_DSETS should be the pathname of
# the directory named `fer_dsets' you created to install the FERRET program.

# If you set a different directory for the datasets, then un-comment and
# customize the following line, instead of what follows:
# export FER_DSETS=my_big_data_disk/fer_dsets

# This directory will contain FERRET demonstration data files (30+ Mbytes)
export FER_DSETS=/home/gregoire/Data/fer_dsets

# System Manager: Check this PATH modification for your system security.
# If you prefer not to modify PATH here you may comment out the following few
# lines and execute the file $FER_DIR/bin/install_ferret_links wich will
# create ferret links in /usr/local/bin.
# 10/06 acm add : in the following command as suggested by user Fabian Lienert
export PATH="$PATH:$FER_DIR/bin"
# *** end of PATH modifications

# =========== Initially make no modifications below this line ===========

#  Default Ferret document browser
export  FER_WEB_BROWSER="netscape -ncols 60"

export FER_EXTERNAL_FUNCTIONS="$FER_DIR/ext_func/libs"

export FER_GO=". $FER_DIR/go $FER_DIR/examples $FER_DIR/contrib"

export   FER_DATA=". $FER_DSETS/data $FER_DIR/go $FER_DIR/examples
$FER_DIR/contrib /data/ncep"
export FER_DESCR=". $FER_DSETS/descr"
export  FER_GRIDS=". $FER_DSETS/grids"

export TMAP="$FER_DIR/fmt"
export PLOTFONTS="$FER_DIR/ppl/fonts"
export FER_FONTS="$FER_DIR/ppl/fonts"
export SPECTRA="$FER_DIR/ppl"         # for old ferret versions
export FER_PALETTE=". $FER_DIR/ppl"       # palette search list

--
Gregoire Junqua

 |  PhD at the Ocean University                    |
 |  Field : Turbulences over the ocean          |
 |  Tel : 15253286035                                   |
 |  QQ : 859452897                                      |