Re: [ferret_users] Finding the area a certain distance/number of grid cells from a boundary

Rob,

I think constructing a mask using the FILL_XY() function is what you want.

You have the array thick

let ocean_mask = if ( thick eq 0 ) then 1
let shelf_mask = if ( thick gt 0 ) then 1
let extended_ocean_mask = fill_xy(ocean_mask,shelf_mask,2)       ! All shelf points within 2 of the ocean are now also filled with 1

let shelf_near_ocean =  if ( thick gt 0 ) then extended_ocean_mask  !  Only want shelf points not ocean

shade thick
shade/ov/pat=tiny_grid/pal=black shelf_near_ocean   ! Check

Multiplying by the area of the cells (1600 in your case) and summing should do the trick

let area = 1600 * shelf_near_ocean[i=@sum,j=@sum]

This could also be done using the @SHF operator but it's rather messy.

Russ