[ferret_users] Finding the area a certain distance/number of grid cells from a boundary

Hello,

I have a data set that is ice shelf thickness of Antarctica. I want to
find the total area of shelf that is bounded between the shelf edge and
say 100km inland.

The elements of the dataset are either:
a) some value for iceshelf thickness
b) 0 for ocean
c) NaN for not ice shelf and not ocean.

See attached pdf. Thus there is a way to identify the ice-shelf edge,
i.e. boundary between ocean and ice shelf.

An equivalent example, using a tweaked etopo (except my dataset is on a
polar stereo grid) would be, find the area of land that <500m elevation
and is within 100km of the ocean/land interface.

yes? use etopo60
yes? let r1 = if rose gt 0 then rose else 0
yes? let r2 = if r1 lt 500 then r1
yes? shade r2

As my data is on a polar stereo grid, it doesn't even need to be a 100km
segment; each grid cell is know dimension e.g. 40km x 40km so if I could
identify the first 2 or 3 grid cells from the shelf edge grid cell that
would suffice.

Regards,

Rob

Ph.D candidate Glacial Systems Dynamics

C4043C
Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's
NL, A1B 3X7, Canada

Phone   : 001 (709) 864-2407
Email   : rdbriggs@xxxxxx
Website : http://www.physics.mun.ca/~rdbriggs/