Re: [ferret_users] How to get "illegal" var names from opendap server

Hi Paulo,
You can use the variable puting the name in single-quotes.

   save/file=ocnh06_200912.cdf 'U-component_of_current'

This is documented under "Netcdf, variables, invalid names" in the Users Guide index,
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/variables-xpressions/VARIABLES#_VPINDEXENTRY_244

I'll work on adding some more references so that one might find the information more easily.

Another thing you could do is the trick of renaming the variables when you open the dataset,

   use "http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/cfsrmon/200912/ocnh06.gdas.200912.grb2";
   set var/name=U_component_of_current 'U-component_of_current'

and then save the variable using the new name, so that future use of your local file in Ferret wouldn't require the quotes.

Ansley