[ferret_users] accessing environment variables within ferret

Hi,

Is there a way to set a ferret symbol to be equal to an environment variable that had been set in the environmet from which ferret was run?

It looks like the environment variables are being inherited in the shell created by the spawn command, so "spawn echo $CASE" is returning the value of $CASE. But I haven't figure out the magic incantation to get the result of this into a ferret symbol.

The following doesn't work, but indicates what I'm trying to accomplish:

define symbol CASE = `spawn echo $CASE`

Any suggestions on how to get this to work, or pointers to another mechanism to retrieve an environment variable within ferret?

Thanks, Keith

Keith Lindsay                http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/oce/klindsay/
email: klindsay@xxxxxxxx   phone: 303-497-1722   fax: 303-497-1700