From: Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ferret_users] list lat,lon along a contour
To: "Abhisek Chatterjee" <abhi.iitkgp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "oar.pmel.ferret_users@xxxxxxxx" <oar.pmel.ferret_users@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, 10:34 PM

Hi -
Just to add some background - there is not a direct way to write the data from the lines that CONTOUR computes. We could add code to capture and list out the coordinates of the lines that are drawn, but in general it would be difficult to make sense of the output. The algorithm computes the results by working on the data field a section at a time, to make the interpolation calculation manageable. The result is drawn on the page as it's calculated, and so the listing listing would not be in a useful order as an output.

(To see this happening, make a contour plot with lots of lines, which slows things down enough that you'll be able to see the lines being drawn in a section at a time on the screen.)

Ansley