Re: [ferret_users] xtics for time axis

Hi Neil,
In addition to what Billy says, I'm wondering what version of Ferret are you running? Some changes were made in version 6.5 for better handling of the labels on longer time axes. The underlying plot code doesn't handle very long or very short time steps as well as it might, but this was a big improvement. I just tried a plot of this axis and it looks good:

   define axis/t=1-jan-1000:1-jan-8000:1/unit=year longtime
   let tt = cos(t[gt=longtime]/10000)
   plot tt

Here's the item in the v6.5 release notes with some more examples, which deal with several hundred years, not thousands.
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/v6-5-release-notes#dot.4

Ansley