Re: [ferret_users] Ferret Cygwin Problem

Hi Janet,

| I have been using Ferret on my windows XP machine for a few months
| now using Cygwin 1.7.5.  All works well.  I am now trying to use
| Ferret on another Windows XP box.  The version of Ferret is the same
| 5.51, Cygwin is working, but the version of Cygwin is slightly
| different (1.7.7).  When I try to start Ferret (after opening my X
| server) I get an error message:
|
| "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap (0x2A30000) in child, cygheap, Win32
| error 487
|
| The only difference is that the version of Cygwin is 1.7.7,
| not 1.7.5 AND I am running different virus software (Symantec)

I suggest going to Google and search it for

  "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap"

*with* the double quotation marks.

This seems to be a Cygwin problem and related to unexpected
interaction between antivirus software and the memory management
system of Cygwin.  I haven't looked into the problem hard enough
to find a solution.

Hope this helps,
Ryo