[ferret_users] stacking variables in time

Hi,

I have a variable, say ocean temp(x,y,z,t) in ten separate datasets (on the same grid). I want to compute the variance in temperature (in space, at one time step) across the datasets. The easiest way I can
think of would be to create a new variable, where my datasets 1...10 are stacked along the time axis. Then the variance could just be computed with t=@var. However, I'm struggling to successfully define
the new variable.

If I was not thinking like a ferret, it would be something like:

temp[l=1] = o_temp[t=5000,d=1]
temp[l=2] = o_temp[t=5000,d=2]...

I've tried save/append - but with no success either:

save/file=test.nc o_temp[t=5000,d=1]
save/append/file=test.nc o_temp[t=5000,d=2]

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this? Do I need to redefine time axis?

Many thanks,
Neil

Neil Swart

Climate Modelling Group