Re: [ferret_users] plot thickness

Steeven Paul Yerraguntla wrote:

> Dear ferreters,
>          I wanted to thicken the plot using "ppl pen 0,7". This is not
> effective in combination with the mode GRATICULE or plot/grat option. But i
> need plot thickening as well as graticule. Jnl file and Figure as follows.
> Hope somebody will repond, who overcame this problem.  Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if there is a good solution here, apart from manually
drawing graticules.  That's what I end up doing.

See the attached picture: it's generated roughly like this:

! make the fill plot using curvilinear coordinates
fill /set_up /nolabel /levels="(...)" tsurf, x_page, y_page

     ! medium thickness lines for all frame and tick lines
     ppl pen 0,7
     ppl pen 1,7

ppl fill

! now overlay the graticule using a modified version of mp_graticule.jnl
repeat /x=.... (plot /overlay /thick=1 ...)
repeat /y=.... (plot /overlay /thick=1 ...)

! overlay coastlines
plot /vs/overlay/thick=1/color=black  ...

Another nice trick is to modify the line color for the graticules: if
you make them gray they appear thinner.

! change the color of pen number 6
PPL COLOR,6,60,60,60   !   light gray
plot /overlay /pen=6 ...

It's quite some work to do a plot that way, but I find that with a
couple of ferret scripts I can easily repeat the effort for many
plots.  The output quality is hard to beat, and it will always be a
lot of work to fine-tune plots no matter what you do.

Hope that helps!
Kind regards,

     Hein Zelle

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Advisor Meteorology & Oceanography

Tel:    +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:    +31 (0)527-242016
Email:  hein.zelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS
P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse
The Netherlands

----Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer----

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.