Re: [ferret_users] Printing images

I am also on a mac, so perhaps I can help.

Just to clarify, do you mean that you are running the tutorial.jnl in ferret, and want to print the resulting images?

There are a number of ways to do this. Nothing really simple since the default output from ferret is a device independent metafile, and then you need to convert to a postscript file. If you have a postscript printer, great! Otherwise you then need to convert to PDF.

(Oh, Paul Young already answered some of this. I do not think the GIF way would work for you unless you edit the tutorial file to include the FRAME command after each plot. However, you should review the links because there are lots of tricks with printing. And then search the listserve archives for all sorts of ways to modify or "prettify" your plots)

Bold is what you type:

yes? set mode metafile
yes? go tutorial
yes? quit

This will produce many files of the type: metafile.plt.~##~, where # is a number from 1 to whatever. You need to convert this to postscript

> gksm2ps -l cps -R metafile.plt*

This gives you the multipage postscript file gksm2ps_output.ps

and then if you need PDF:

> ps2pdf gksm2ps_output.ps

Which leaves you with the file gksm2ps_output.pdf which you can print or view in Preview or whatever.

Mark Verschell

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pines