Re: [ferret_users] Printing images

Hi Juliette,

You cannot print directly from the X-window - you either need to get ferret to save the image as a gif or a metafile. The latter can be converted to a postscript file for printing with the Fprint command in unix (which is also installed with the Mac ferret version). As usual, the online documentation is a good resource for this kind of thing:

See here in the documentation to create gif images:
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/animations-gif-images/CREATING-GIF-IMAGES/?searchterm=gif

....and here for postscript
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/computing-environment/HARD-COPY-AND-METAFILE-TRANSLATION?searchterm=post

I generally create postscript files, then print via the Preview app on the Mac. Here's a quick recipe:

yes? set mode meta
 ..... (Some plotting commands) ....
yes? can mode meta          !Important
yes? exit

>From the terminal:

Fprint -p landscape -o my_plot.ps metafile.plt                #ferret output may have ~1 suffix if more than 1 plot made
open -a Preview my_plot.ps                                               #opens in Preview and converts to pdf

(Can also replace landscape with portrait)

Good luck,

Paul