[ferret_users] Graphics display problem...

Dear Ferreters,

I would like to know if anyone else has had (and hopefully solved) problems with Ferret
being unable to display plotting windows?

We have a problem when running Ferret under SUSE SLED v11.1, where Ferret seems
unable to connect to the X Server, for example:-

22 > ferret
 	NOAA/PMEL TMAP
 	FERRET v6.64
 	Linux(gfortran) 2.6.9-89.0.20.ELsmp - 09/16/10
 	 9-Dec-10 10:00

set memory/size=9999
 Cached data cleared from memory
yes? set data levitus_climatology
yes? sho d
     currently SET data sets:
    1> /nerc/packages/ferret/6.64/fer_dsets/data/levitus_climatology.cdf  (default)
 name     title                             I         J         K         L
 TEMP     TEMPERATURE                      1:360     1:180     1:20      ...
 SALT     SALINITY                         1:360     1:180     1:20      ...

yes? shade temp[k=1]
Xlib: No protocol specified

Can't connect to X Server :0.0
Your DISPLAY environment variable must be set to
point to a working X server.

gopenws()   26 Specified workstation cannot be opened
gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
gsetdeferst()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetlinerep()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
Xlib: No protocol specified

ginqmaxwssttables()   22 Specified workstation type is invalid
ginqwsconntype()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetwswindow()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gescsetdcsize()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gupdatews()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
 **ERROR: required program command has not been given: graphical output device isnt ready
yes?

The DISPLAY environment is set correctly:-
23 > env | grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0.0

I have tried many other X dependent applications, including xclock, xcalc, and packages
such as ncview and all these work fine. We do not have the same problem using Ferret
under SUSE SLED v10.3, the plotting windows appear fine.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour before? I am not sure whether it is something
subtle that has changed or is missing from the X setup between SLED 10 and SLED 11, or
whether it is something to do with Ferret. One one hand, it seems obvious that it is a SLED
10/11 or X Server problem, but on the other hand the fact that all the other packages I have
tried seem to work fine, suggests that it is a Ferret issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dr Adam Blaker

Ocean Modelling and Forecasting
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton