Re: [ferret_users] define grid

Hi Izidine,
I see that your dataset has coordinate variables xlon, xlat.  See the discussion of "curvilinear coordinates" in the Ferret documentation for more on this.  It means that you can work with the data as-is,
yes? use test.nc
yes? vector U10M[l=1],V10M[l=1], xlon, xlat
(and the grid for u10m and v10m is not in meters, but just in index values, 1, 2, 3, ...)

But to answer your question, Ferret does not automatically convert between axes defined in meters and axes defined in degrees longitude and latitude. Axes in meters generally don't include the origin - we might have coordinates in meters, but from what location on the globe?

If the grid is actually rectangular, as I think this is, and if the axes you have defined are equivalent to the coordinate locations of the input grid, then you can set things up the way you have done, and use [G=new_grid@ASN] to put your data onto the new grid point by point.

Ansley