From: owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-ferret_users@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DELCLAUX Francois
Sent: Wednesday, 1 December 2010 7:37 PM
To: ferret_users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [ferret_users] defining common time axis for 2 datasets with different origin/end

Hi Ferret users,

I would like to compare (bias and correlation maps) 2 monthly
precipitation datasets.

The first one, D1, starts on 1rst january 1901 and ends on 1rst december
2006, so 106 years and 1272 months: L varies from 1 to 1272
  01-JAN-1901 /    1:    60.
  31-JAN-1901 /    2:    10.
  03-MAR-1901 /    3:    31.
  01-OCT-2006 / 1270:    88.
  01-NOV-2006 / 1271:     9.
  01-DEC-2006 / 1272:    16.

The second one, D2, starts at 16 jan 1951 and ends at 16 december 2007,
so 57 years and 684 values: L varies from 1 to 684
  16-JAN-1951 /   1:   21.4
  15-FEB-1951 /   2:    3.3
  18-MAR-1951 /   3:    7.0
  16-OCT-2007 / 682:   42.4
  16-NOV-2007 / 683:    2.3
  16-DEC-2007 / 684:    0.0

In order to compare D1 and D2 over the same period, I defined a common
time axis/grid over 1951-2006 period such as :
define axis/t="1-jan-1951":"31-dec-2006":30.436875/units=day axd ;
define grid/t=axd gtd
and regrid the two datasets on this axis.

let p1 = pm[d=D1, gt=gtd]
let p2 = pm[d=D2, gt=gtd]

But when I list these new variables on one point new datasets, I have
the following output:
                      P1     P2
01-JAN-1951 /   1:    4.0   ....
31-JAN-1951 /   2:   36.5   12.3
02-MAR-1951 /   3:   33.2    5.1
31-OCT-2006 / 671:   11.2   11.3
01-DEC-2006 / 672:   16.8    9.1
31-DEC-2006 / 673:   ....    8.7

Consequently, it's impossible to compare these 2 regridded datasets.
Then, how can I define the correct time axis (i.e. identical L values)
wich will give consistent regrided datasets ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Francois DELCLAUX
UMR HydroSciences Montpellier