[ferret_users] FILE/ command works only when executed twice

Dear ferreters,

I am reading ASCII data from a file ($tmpname) using the command

FILE/FORMAT=delim/DELIMITER=" "/grid=gbin/var="iweight" "($tmpname)"

The grid "gbin" spans a section in time, longitude, and latitude.
In some cases with a higher number of values to be read in (i.e. gbin has a higher resolution in longitude and latitude, for example 3x3 degress instead of 10x10 degrees), the values of the variable iweight are all set to 1.356E-19, some machine phantasy number, I guess.

When I simply repeat the command as given above in the same shell, the values are all fine. Also, when I quit ferret and open it again, generate the grid and read the ($tmpname), the iweight values are fine. (Issuing the command "load iweight" after FILE/... by the way does not change anything.)

Now, I don't know enough about ferret's guts and my full example is longish and as mentioned above, only reading from the tmp file free from other script context works. The workaround, issuing the FILE/... command twice seems to do the job, but I have no idea how reliable that workaround is.

Has anyone encountered a similar behavior in ferret? Any ideas about file scan behavior, temporary storage, internal variables ...?

Cheers,
Hella