[ferret_users] reading sequence of files

Dear ferreters,
         I wanted to make a generalized script which executes the  sequence of data files having different variables, for instance one file having var SST other having var AIRT etc. As we know we can call dataset attributes  in the executing script using `SST,return=lend` , `AIRT, return=dset` etc. Is there any provision in ferret to call the variable name without mentioning directly.
I  gone through the weblink showing how to read sequence of datafiles which presumes the variable in common.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2006/msg00339.html

Thanks in advance,

--
Steeven Paul Y