Re: [ferret_users] contour thickness

You can make default contour lines thicker by specifying a color greater than 6:

contour/col=7 rose    ! thick black lines, including dashed lines

contour/col=8 rose    ! thick red lines

etc ....

A disadvantage of this is that the contour labels will also be thickened, sometimes to unreadability. You can kluge this away with the CONPRE command:

contour/set/col=8 rose   ! set up for thick red contour lines
ppl conpre,@c004         ! specify contour labels in thin blue lines
ppl contour                  ! make the plot

And for more Ferret trivia:

If you're specifying all your contour levels, then you have full control with the DASH, LINE, and DARK options. Add a color and/or conpre specification as above to thicken and/or color the lines:

Suppose you want to plot something that has a range of -5:5:

! default: positive solid, negative dashed, zero heavy:
contour/lev=(-5,5,1,-1) variable

! reverse the default (negative contours solid, positive dashed):
contour/lev=(-5,5,1,-1)line(-5,-1,1)dash(1,5,1) variable

! also make the +/-2 contour heavy:
contour/lev=(-5,5,1,-1)line(-5,-1,1)dash(1,5,1)dark(-2,2,4) variable

! and the ever-useful: how to remove a single contour (here zero):
contour/lev=(-5,5,1,-1)del(0) variable

Note that there is no comma before LINE, DASH, DARK or DEL options, and they only take (up to) 3 arguments (lower,upper,increment). If there is a single value given it refers to a specific contour. You can string as many of these as you want following the initial levels specification.

This is documented in section 6.8.1.1 "/LEVELS qualifier", under 6.8 "Contouring", in Section 6 "Customizing plots".

BK