-----Original message-----
From: Igaratza Fraile <ifraile@xxxxxxx>
To:
oar.pmel.ferret_users@xxxxxxxx
Sent:
Fri, Oct 22, 2010 07:11:24 GMT+00:00
Subject:
[ferret_users] connection with graphical output device

Hi ferreters

I´m running ferret on windows XP following the instructions from http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/HOMEPAGE/Downloads/ferret_installation_win32.html

I start the X-server in cygwin  typing ‘startx’ before launching ferret. The X- server works fine (I can see xclock, for instance). However, when I try to plot something with ferret it gives me the following error:

"Can't connect to X Server :0.0
Your DISPLAY environment variable must be set to
point to a working X server.

gopenws()   26 Specified workstation cannot be opened
gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
gsetdeferst()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetlinerep()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
ginqmaxwssttables()   22 Specified workstation type is invalid

ginqmaxwssttables()   22 Specified workstation type is invalid

gupdatews()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP

gclearws()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
ginqwsconntype()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetwswindow()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gescsetdcsize()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gupdatews()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
 **ERROR: required program command has not been given: graphical output device isnt ready"

I created the environment variable DISPLAY and gave the value ‘:0.0’. I I've also tried to change DISPLAYs value but it ever appear the same message. It only varies :0.0 which depends the given value.

I saw that other people had similar problems, but still could not solve this connection problem. Does anyone have any tip?

Thanks for your Cooperation

Igaratza Fraile

AZTI - Tecnalia / Marine Research Division

Herrera kaia portualdea z/g
20110 Pasaia (Gipuzkoa)
Tel: 94 657 4000 (Ext.718) - Fax: 943 004 801
e-mail:
ifraile@xxxxxxx

www.azti.es ; www.tecnalia.info

Nahi baduzu, nirekin euskeraz!

Mezu hau pertsonala eta isilpekoa da eta baimenik gabeko erabilera debekatua dago legalki. Jasotzailea ez bazara ezabatu mezua, bidali eta kontserbatu gabe.

Este mensaje es personal y confidencial y su uso no autorizado está prohibido legalmente. Si usted no es el destinatario, proceda a borrarlo, sin reenviarlo ni conservarlo.

This message is personal and confidential, unauthorised use is legally prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, delete it without resending or backing it.