Re: it worked! Re: [ferret_users] installation problem

 Hi Simi,
Thank you for writing back and describing what you did. This information will help others.

Ansley

On 9/23/2010 2:56 AM, simi wrote:
Sir,
    Atlast the ferret started working. In my PC the ubuntu settings, i have
edited the apt.conf in /etc/apt/ then apt-get install csh worked. then i
installed csh and then Finstall worked. I was not happy with why this apt-get
is not working. then by giving the command
  $synaptic
i got the synaptic package manager. i change the network preferences in the
settings.
then everything started working fine. at the end i installed libXm.so.3.
then used this in place of libXm.so.4 which ferret requires,by giving this command
$ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.so.3 /usr/liblibXm.so.4

I also uncommended the lines in source.list as u said in /etc/apt/

I tried then with the bashrc as you suggested too, it worked.
thanks a lot
simi

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:59:28 +0530, Sudheer Joseph wrote
You do not try to do Finstall
do below steps
mkdir /usr/local/ferret
mkdir /usr/local/ferret_dsets
cp /path_to_downloded files /fer_environment.tar.gz
fer_executables.tar.gz /usr/local/ferret
cp    fer_dsets.tar.gz /usr/local/ferret_dsets
cd /usr/local/ferret
tar -zxvf *.gz
cd ../
cd ferret_dsets
tar -zxvf  *.gz

now set the paths in ferret_bash_template in ferret/bin/ and copy it to
/usr/local/ and
edit the 2 lines specified to suit the directories for fer_dsets and ferret
source the same in the .bashrc or .login.

hope this helps
Sudheer

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:05:29 +0530, Sudheer Joseph wrote
HI simi,
                   It appears in your source list repositories may have
been commented
I am attaching here my version of source.list
which is there in
your system.
/etc/apt/source.list/etc/apt/source.list

you need to make sure that the repositories in my copy are not
commented
in your version
then you need to do an apt-get update and
try in synaptic you should see csh there.

Hope this helps.
with best regards,
Sudheer