it worked! Re: [ferret_users] installation problem

Sir,
   Atlast the ferret started working. In my PC the ubuntu settings, i have
edited the apt.conf in /etc/apt/ then apt-get install csh worked. then i
installed csh and then Finstall worked. I was not happy with why this apt-get
is not working. then by giving the command
 $synaptic
i got the synaptic package manager. i change the network preferences in the
settings.
then everything started working fine. at the end i installed libXm.so.3.
then used this in place of libXm.so.4 which ferret requires,by giving this command
$ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.so.3 /usr/liblibXm.so.4

I also uncommended the lines in source.list as u said in /etc/apt/

I tried then with the bashrc as you suggested too, it worked.
thanks a lot
simi

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:59:28 +0530, Sudheer Joseph wrote
> You do not try to do Finstall
> do below steps
> mkdir /usr/local/ferret
> mkdir /usr/local/ferret_dsets
> cp /path_to_downloded files /fer_environment.tar.gz
> fer_executables.tar.gz /usr/local/ferret
> cp    fer_dsets.tar.gz /usr/local/ferret_dsets
> cd /usr/local/ferret
> tar -zxvf *.gz
> cd ../
> cd ferret_dsets
> tar -zxvf  *.gz
>
> now set the paths in ferret_bash_template in ferret/bin/ and copy it to
/usr/local/ and
> edit the 2 lines specified to suit the directories for fer_dsets and ferret
> source the same in the .bashrc or .login.
>
> hope this helps
> Sudheer

Search. you
> > activated on