Re: [ferret_users] lsl_lowpass

I have not used the external function LSL_LOWPASS, however, your method to make a bandpass filter is correct in form.

The key question, though, is how much variance remains at each frequency. Remember that the frequency response of a filter is a curve, not a step-function. If your filters retain half-amplitude at 7 and 9 years (as in the function arguments you state below), then you probably are losing a great deal of the variance in your band.

There are various ways to check this. One simple one would be to make a simple sinusoid with an 8-year period, and run your filters on it. How does the amplitude of the result compare to the (known) amplitude of the original sinusoid?

You should always experiment with the arguments to these canned filters. Try various choices and look at the results (for both the sinusoid and the actual data).

The frequency response of various filters (including the Lanczos filter) is well-described in the excellent book:

Bloomfield, P., 1976, Fourier Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 258 pp.

Also see Duchon, C., 1979, "Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions", J. Applied Meteorology, 18, 1016-1022.

Billy K