[ferret_users] ferret installation problem

I am new to ferret and am having trouble installing it.  For those who are familiar with the installation process, my questions are as follows:  My questions are as follows: (1) When I reach the step of the installation process after following the protocol and am trying to call ferret, I always get an error saying, 'no command found.'  What am I doing wrong? (2) The error I get when I try to run ferret directly is that fer_dir variable is not defined as I would with 'source your_system_path/ferret_paths' and when I try to run that, I get a syntax error at line 89.  Please let me know how I can install ferret correctly.