Re: [ferret_users] remove small tic marks

I was going to write a response, and then thought this was a great teaching moment.

The good folks at NOAA/PMEL who are responsible for Ferret (who I was once proudly associated with), maintain a searchable archive of the listserve back to 1995!

It can be found at: http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/email-users-group

Doing a search for "remove small tics" (without "'s) gives the first hit from a 2007 post on the same topics that was answered by Billy Kessler:

See the documentation for PPL TXLINT:

txlint,low,high time axis lab intervals (0,1=yr only; 1,0=mon only; 3,1=every 3 mon+yr)
You can force the issue with PPL TICS:

tics,smx,lgx,smy,lgy,ix,iy sm(x,y)=small tic size (0.125) lg(x,y) =large (0.25)
For long-forgotten reasons, TXLINT is a single-plot command, but TICS is persistent.
Billy K

With a follow up by Ansley Manke:

Hi -
I have just a couple of comments to add to Billy's answer. For these ppl commands which customize plotting, x means the horizontal axis, and y the vertical axis. So for this time series plot, you could do the following to change the tics on the horizontal axis and leave the tics on the vertical axis as they are.
  plot/set myvar
  ppl tics,0,0.25
  ppl plot

If you're doing overlays, the first plot command is the one that draws the axis, so the overlay commands don't need the addition of PPL commands.

(The upshot is that you aren't actually REMOVING the small tic marks, just making them 0 height with the TICS command)

Mark Verschell

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pines