Re: [ferret_users] Reveal the values of contour lines

A simple way to see the contour line values is to do SHADE or FILL. Then the colorbar will show the values.

The problem is that you have very dense contours. There is no real reason to contour etopo2, which is a 2-minute (roughly 3km) grid, namely 1320 points on the side of your box. Try contouring etopo5: the result should look essentially the same, and it will probably show contour values.

The reason for this is that the contour algorithm was written in a time when computers had little memory (1968!). It therefore divides the region into smaller subregions for calculation (you can see this if you do the plot over a slow internet connection). Since the algorithm tries to avoid overwriting contour labels (which is a very hard problem!), when it works in small separate subregions it usually deduces that there is no room for a label. That's why using etopo5, which does not need such small regions, will probably help.

Billy K