Re: [ferret_users] fill

Hi Nuncio
The FILL command draws colors between contour lines.  If the data is constant, there are no contour lines, and so no colors are used.  SHADE colors in each grid cell with a color according to the value of the variable, and so each grid cell gets the same color.

Often a nice plot is drawn using
SHADE/TRIM variable
FILL/NOLABEL/OVERLAY/LEVELS variable
The /NOLABEL prevents a little label telling us of the overlay, and /LEVELS requests that the same color levels be used for the  overlaid plot.  Doing the SHADE under a FILL means that when there is sparse data, we get colors where we otherwise wouldn't.

The /TRIM qualifier on the SHADE command,
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/commands-reference/SHADE/?searchterm=TRIM

trims off the outer portions of grid cells around the edges of the plot, so that they match the edges of the FILL plot.

Ansley