[ferret_users] Install error

I tried to install the  current version of Ferret. When I download the files (fer_execu*.gz etc) from the ferret home page, it is asking for a password. I do not have the account so I cancelled the username/password window and continued downloading the files. It was downloaded but when I extract it, an error comes such as

gzip: fer_executables.tar.gz: unexpected end of file

I think it could be because of the account problem. Is ferret free? WHy should it ask for password? And how can I download/install it?

Pl. Help.

Saji. P. K.