Re: [ferret_users] Plotting 95% confidence intervals

- This sounds like a good candidate for an external function!

William S. Kessler wrote:
There is not a straightforward way to do a Student t-test in Ferret, but such a script could be written, I think. It requires evaluating the Gamma function, which would be tricky in Ferret because it is an integral that is evaluated until it converges. I've attached the fortran code I use (from Numerical Recipes) in case someone smarter than me wants to write it into a Ferret script (and please post to the list!).

The Wikipedia article (Student_t_distribution) is pretty good.

One very important thing to note when doing a Student t-test is that you must know the degrees of freedom first! That is a separate calculation that is typically found as an integral over the product of the autocorrelation functions of the two variables. There are several other essential subtleties, that are described in, among other places, p3015 of Kessler et al (1996, JPO, link to the pdf at the end of this message).

Statistics are hard.

Billy K

Link to the paper with description of the procedure and assumptions (pdf, see p3015):
http://faculty.washington.edu/kessler/abstracts/ksmh-1996.pdf