Re: [ferret_users] netcdf file with irregular axis

Hello Nuncio,

as Júnior wrote, solving the problem needs ASCII files (and a bit more info about your data might help). Suppose you have two separate ASCII files containing data (Ishow you my solution for a problem with Lambertian grid as I could not make ferret to read GRIB files so I needed to create ASCII from them first).

!You need to define an axis with lon-lat coordinates (which are in a file), BUT you should know their limits.
def axis/x=11.78:25.22/np=97 xx
def axis/y=44.63:50.20/np=61 yy
def grid/x=xx/y=yy latlon
!Read now the coordinate-file:
set data/ez/var="lon lat"/grid=latlon "ASCII_latlon"

!Add a time axis if there is any.
def axis/t=1:30:1/units=years time
def grid/t=time/x=lon[d=1]/y=lat[d=1] gridxyt
!Read in now the lambertian gridded file.
set data/ez/var="gustx"/grid=gridxyt "ASCII_gust6190_lambert"

!With scat2gridgauss_xy function you can have the irregularly spaced data on a lat-lon grid. Read more about that function in ferret documentation.
let xx1d = xsequence(lon[d=1])
let yy1d = xsequence(lat[d=1])

def axis/x=11.78:25.22:0.14 xax
def axis/y=44.63:50.20:0.092833 yax

let gust=scat2gridgauss_xy(xx1d,yy1d,gustx[d=2],x[gx=xax],y[gy=yax],0.14,0.092833,2,0)
!In case you were out of memory: "set memory/size=123".

!Save it to a file for further operations and functions:
repeat/l=1:30 (save/file="latlon_gust6190.nc"/llimits=1:30/l=`l`/append/clobber gust)

That is how I solved my problem similar to yours. Hope this helps. Regards,

Peter Szabo