[ferret_users] non-continuous (DJFM) time axis

Ferret users,

I have created a netcdf file containing winter-only (DJFM) values for a number of years. The time axis is defined:

       Tax = UNLIMITED ; // (5941 currently)

       double Tax(Tax) ;
               Tax:units = "hours since 1900-01-01 00:00:00" ;

A partial listing of any DJFM variable shows the correct time axis values:

29-MAR-1965 11 / 483:   ....
30-MAR-1965 11 / 484:   ....
31-MAR-1965 11 / 485:   ....
01-DEC-1965 11 / 486:   ....
02-DEC-1965 11 / 487:   ....
03-DEC-1965 11 / 488:   ....
04-DEC-1965 11 / 489:   ....

However, a shade or fill command inserts the missing calendar days when creating the output, as shown in the attached figure.

I want a figure showing a "pure" DJFM calendar (with no intervening months). How do I force ferret to not expand the time axis to include the missing days?

Thanks,
Denise.

JPEG image