Re: [ferret_users] Mass transport normal to a vertical section along a track

I think this will work, but ....

1) What samplexy will do in this situation is to bilinearly interpolate the velocities to the chosen points. It looks like your points are very close together. How many gridboxes do they span? (If less than 1, it seems unlikely that the result will be meaningful.)

2) You can check the result by choosing a line that begins and ends at existing gridpoints. Then do the calculation along the two x and y lines that complete the triangle. Is mass conserved in the triangle? (Or is it conserved when any sea level variation is taken into account?)

3) A similar check is to do the calculation along latitude-longitude steps that are along gridboxes.

A possibly better way would be the following:
* define your section line as a succession of, say y(x), points, namely the latitudes of the line as it crosses each gridpoint longitude * interpolate to find the velocity perpendicular to the section line in each gridbox * multiply that perpendicular component by the distance spanned within each gridbox to get the perpendicular transport (also multiply by z)
* sum those along the line
=> again a check is to do the same thing using switched components (i.e. find the line as a series of x(y) points)

Billy K