Re: [ferret_users] Ferret color palette by values...

Hi Chuck,
(Re-sending my earlier answer with [ferret_users] in the subject line so it will be sorted properly into the right thread in the archive).

There are a couple of issues  here. Maybe you just didn't show it here but you need this line at the start of the palette file.

RGB_Mapping By_Value

But what you're asking about I think has to do with the labeling of the color keys. This may be done differently from what you expect.  Instead of labeling the color, the labels are for the line between colors.

So,  defining a simple variable with the right range,
yes? let var = (i*j) - 12

yes? ! Here zero is at the bottom of the white color
yes? shade/i=1:4/j=1:6/pal=white_centered_values var

yes? ! Here there are two cells colored in white, centered at zero.
yes? shade/i=1:4/j=1:6/pal=white_centered_values/lev=(-12,10.,0.5) var

yes? ! Or try this
yes? shade/i=1:4/j=1:6/pal=white_centered_values/lev=(-12.5,10.5,1) var
Ansley

Charles Seman wrote:
Dear ferret users,

I have a question about making and using a color palette using "RGB_Mapping By_Value" for plotting bias values such that there is color white within a range surrounding zero bias and rainbow-like colors by value outside of this range.  With a color palette using a single "0" level for white and contour levels [-.25,.25] the plot shows no white, but by "shifting" the color palette to a "negative" bias (as shown here below), we get a white area as desired between [-.25,.25]... Does the "interpolation" for shading between contour levels [-.25,.25] use the "lower" palette interval limit in question for the interpolation?  so that for [-.25,.25], -0.25 is used?  That is, are the RGB values for [-0.5,0.0] in the table used to interpolate to -0.25, and then the resulting RGB triplet used for specifying the (white) color for the  [-.25,.25] interval?
!----------------------
! Val   R     G     B
!----------------------

-12.0    0.  100.  100.