Re: [ferret_users] @max and @min functions

Hi Sandip,
What Ferret does  when it reads a data field that is stored as NC_DOUBLE is to convert it to FLOAT.  It does the conversion using a call to netCDF library, and so the error message comes from that library. The error message indicates that apparently there are values that can't be represented as FLOAT.  The missing-value flag listed here is typical for  data that we see. It should be representable in single-precision floating point. I can only assume that there are other values in the data field that are causing the problem
temp: # dim. = 4, NC_DOUBLE, # att. = 3, ID = 3
temp dimension 0: TIME, size = 12 NC_DOUBLE, dim. ID = 0 (CRD)(REC)
temp dimension 1: zt, size = 1 NC_FLOAT, dim. ID = 3 (CRD)
temp dimension 2: grid_y_T, size = 6 NC_FLOAT, dim. ID = 2 (CRD)
temp dimension 3: grid_x_T, size = 6 NC_FLOAT, dim. ID = 1 (CRD)
temp memory size is 12*1*6*6*nco_typ_lng(NC_DOUBLE) = 432*8 = 3456 bytes
temp attribute 0: long_name, size = 52 NC_CHAR, value = THETA_FO(SALT_EXTRAP,TEMP_EXTRAP,Z[G=TEMP_EXTRAP],0)
temp attribute 1: units, size = 7 NC_CHAR, value = nounits
temp attribute 2: missing_value, size = 1 NC_DOUBLE, value = -9.99999979021e+33

What version of Ferret are you running?

Ansley

sandip tikar wrote:

Hi ,
   I am trying @max transformation by using
             list TEMP[I=@max,J=@max,K=@max,L=@max]
   but I am getting error as
             **netCDF error
             NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable (OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code -60)
             Data set: ./VL_58.nc

            After analyzing in detail, I think it can be problem because of double with an exponent too large to be represented in a float. The part of data, metadata is attached for reference. This file is generated by using ncks command.
            How should I resolve this Numeric conversion issue ?

Thanks & Regards,
Sandip