Re: [ferret_users] County maps for Ferret

Ansley,

I found the data for county boundaries at nationalatlas.gov. After a bit of searching I discovered IDL can read the GIS shapefile provided by the site so I was able to convert the data into netCDF for use by Ferret. If you are interested, I can send you the file. Others might find it useful, so you might want to include it in a future Ferret release. Right now I have the data in an independent file, but I could see adding the county lat/lon info to the file used by land_detail and then extending that script to include county boundaries for the USA. The filesize is 12 MB. Attached is an example plot for California and Nevada with the counties in black and the states and continents in red:

yes? use counties_usa.nc
yes? show d
     currently SET data sets:
    1> ./counties_usa.nc  (default)
 name     title                             I         J         K         L
 COUNTY_LON
          Longitude of county borders      1:778766  ...       ...       ...
 COUNTY_LAT
          Latitude of county borders       1:778766  ...       ...       ...

yes? plot/vs/line/hlim=-125:-112/vlim=31:42.5 county_lon, county_lat
yes? go land_detail 2,,2,2

-Bill