Re: [ferret_users] Publication quality image export question

Ilias,

|     I am a new ferret user and I am attempting to export a series of
|     publication quality graphics.
|
|     Do you know how if it's possible to output GIFs at 300dpi resolution
|     or at a pixel size that can pull publication for ex 4000x4000 pixels?

As Paul said, first generate metafile.plt, then convert it to
PostScript, and finally convert the latter to a high resolution
GIF image.

But, as Billy said, I recommend asking your publisher if they accept
vector graphics like PostScript and PDF.  This route allows you to
forget about resolution.

The sizes of the files depend on your original plot. A publication
quality raster image (say, a GIF image of 4000x4000 pixels) is pretty
large.  But, as the complexity of your plot increases, the size of
the corresponding vector graphics increases and eventually overtakes
the raster image, while the size of the raster image stays roughly
constant.  If this happens, you might prefer the raster image.
If you still prefer a vector graphics, you might want to decimate
objects or details from your plot, because a vector graphics lager
than, say, a 4000x4000-pixel GIF image typically contains many
details that the human eye cannot see.

Regards,
Ryo