Re: [ferret_users] Publication quality image export question

There is no way that gif output can be good enough for publication graphics. I think you are trying to do something that can't be done. Gif plots from Ferret are exactly what you see on the screen, pixel for pixel. You can drag the window to be larger (before giving the FRAME command), so if you have a 4000x4000-pixel screen then I suppose Ferret could make a 4000x4000-pixel gif.

The fundamental difference between plot metafiles and gif output is that the metafiles are vector graphics that *describe* the plot commands, whereas gif files simply save the pixels you see.

The reason that the metafile plots can be large is because they contain more information; information that is usually essential to make a fine-quality plot that can be scaled to any size. (And if you made a 4000x4000-pixel gif file it would be similarly large). But also note that gif file size scales as the number of pixels, some of which will be white space, so the metafile from a simple line plot will usually be *smaller* than the comparable gif from a large window.

You can make the final result of metafiles smaller by converting postscript to pdf (usually about a factor of 4 smaller, and also more portable).

If you really want a 300 dpi gif, several software packages can convert postscript or pdf to gif at whatever resolution you want.

If your metafile is really too large, typically if it has color-fills with very high resolution that will not be visible in a printed image, then perhaps you should regrid the field to lower resolution before doing FILL. For example, if you make a global map of a 1/10th degree field, the metafile will be huge and contain details that are useless in a printed publication. In that case regridding would be useful. Another simple way to reduce the metafile size in such a plot is to use SHADE instead of FILL: the blockiness of SHADE will not be visible and the file size will be smaller.

Billy K