Re: [ferret_users] Converting from one polar stereographic grid (curvilinear) to another

Hi Rob,
Ferret has just the one set of tools, curv_to_rect_map, curv_to_rect, and rect_to_grid for regridding to or from curvilinear grids. If you have a way of doing the computation you want in Fortran or C, we could help you turn that into a Ferret external function.

Note there are also the functions SAMPLEXY_CURV, which you could possibly use to just sample data from the fine grid at the desired locations on the coarse grid. Maybe give that some thought.

Ansley

Rob Briggs wrote:
Good Morning,

I'm pre-processing some data and wish to regrid from a high resolution
polar stereo grid (curvilinear) to another lower resolution grid (my
model is for Antarctica so all my data is in polar stereo).
My target grid, from fort.92.40.nc, is in km
My source grid, source.nc, is in m
yes? use fort.92.40.nc
yes? show grid H[d=1]
    GRID GOZ3
 name       axis              # pts   start                end
 X1        X (km)             141 r   -2800                2800
 Y1        Y (km)             141 r   -2800                2800
 normal    Z
 TIME      T (years)            1 r   -29999               -29999

yes? use source.nc
yes? show grid TEMP[d=2]
    GRID GPX1
 name       axis              # pts   start                end
 X11       X (meter)         1160 r   -2797500             2997500
 Y11       Y (meter)         1120 r   -2797500             2797500
 normal    Z
 normal    T

And then I want to do something like this, yes? let var=TEMP[g=H[d=1]]

Then I would have my regridded variable. If I had a way to convert grid
GOZ3 in km to a grid in m I think I would be there. Is there away to do
this (without using curv_to_rect, I believe I could it with
curv_to_rect, but I'm hoping there might be a way to do it without,
curv_to_rect is very slow and I've not had sucess with it yet on
continental scale data).
regards,

Rob Briggs