Re: [ferret_users] $ppl$yorg and friends

Hi  Ryo,
The difference is in how the different commands use these symbols, not in the values at different times. The values are the same whether after set_up is issued, or after a plot command is finished.

ppl$xorg and ppl$yorg are the distance between origin of the coordinate axes and the bottom left corner of the "page". ppl$xlen and ppl$ylen are the distance between the coordinate axis origin and the upper right corner of the coordinate axes.

LABEL positions the labels relative to the origin, as it is (often) used for positioning labels inside the box formed by the coordinate axes, and it can be used with USER coordinates, to position a label in terms of world coordinates such as degrees.
SHAKEY positions the key relative to the lower left corner of the plot page.

I'll add some notes in the Users Guide to try to clarify this.

Ansley

Ryo Furue wrote:
Hi Ferret users,

I'm puzzled by the values of $ppl$xorg and $ppl$yorg .
I thought they represent the lower-left corner of the plot,
but apparently that's not always the case:

   set data levitus_climatology
   fill/k=1 temp
   LABEL/NOUSER ($ppl$xlen) ($ppl$ylen) 1 0 .2 hello
   LABEL/NOUSER ($ppl$xorg) ($ppl$yorg) 1 0 .2 hello
   LABEL/NOUSER 0 0 1 0 .2 hello

This plot seems to indicate that (0,0) is the lower-left corner
and ($ppl$xlen, $ppl$ylen) is the upper-right corner,
while $ppl$xorg and $ppl$yorg have strange values.
Is this a correct behavior?

Within the "set_up state", these variables have "correct" values:

   set data levitus_climatology
   fill/k=1/set temp
   ppl shakey ,,,,,,`($ppl$xorg)+($ppl$xlen)`,`($ppl$xorg)+($ppl$xlen)+0.3`,($ppl$yorg),`($ppl$yorg)+($ppl$ylen)`
   ppl fill
In this case, ($ppl$xorg, $ppl$yorg) is the lower-left corner and
($ppl$xorg + $ppl$xlen, $ppl$yorg + $ppl$ylen) is the upper-right one.

Or, are both behaviors correct?  If so, that means that our coordinate
system changes depending on whether we are in the "set_up state"
or out of it.

I'm using

  FERRET v6.3
  Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 09/29/09