Re: [ferret_users] publication quality fonts

This issue has come up before on this discussion group. Unfortunately, my impression is that the graphics core used by Ferret cannot handle postscript or other "pretty" fonts. This is my biggest complaint with Ferret, although I don't let it stop me from using Ferret. I find it faster to clean up the fonts later in Illustrator than to go through the trouble of writing several hundred lines of code in NCL or IDL when Ferret can do the same thing in a dozen. In reality, I have gotten lazier as I age and value my time more than the prettiness of my graphics and often forgo the effort I used to put into making them "perfect".

If the Ferret developers could ever get postscript fonts, or at least something like Helvetica, into Ferret, I could convert a lot more folks in my group to use it.

-Bill

William I. Gustafson Jr., Ph.D.
Scientist
ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES AND GLOBAL CHANGE DIVISION

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
P.O. 999, MSIN K9-30
Richland, WA  99352
Tel: 509-372-6110