[ferret_users] "trim" a dataset

Howdy,

I'm using a mask to cut out a contiguous region of data from a global dataset. The result is a small blob of valid data sitting inside a vast global domain of missing data. When I save the dataset, all the missing data are also written to disk, and I'd like to avoid that by defining the smallest rectangular region that contains my valid data. I'd then write out only that rectangle instead of the entire globe. Anybody know how to get the bounding latitude & longitude values to define this rectangle?

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Jacobson