Re: [ferret_users] Ferret Installation problem

Hi Steeven,

|       I tried to install ferret according to the ferret website
| instructions.  There was a problem with the Finstall shell file. when run
| the Finstall it showing the following error
|
| paul@paul-desktop:/usr/local/ferret$ /usr/local/ferret/bin/Finstall
|
| bash: /usr/local/ferret/bin/Finstall: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such
| file or directory.

As the error message says, you need csh to run the Finstall script.
(tcsh might work, too.)
I think your operating system (Ubuntu) is sufficiently similar to
mine (Debian), so I think you can install csh by

   $ sudo aptitude install csh

if you use aptitude.  If don't have aptitude, you can replace
it with apt-get.  This package should give you /bin/csh .

If you ever want to use csh as your command line interpreter
(which isn't very likely since you are using bash), "tcsh" is
a better alternative.
(The package tcsh will give you /bin/csh, too.)
If you need csh just as an interpreter of scripts, then the
csh package is sufficient.

| When i replace csh with bash in the Finstall file, the output as
| follows

I don't think that will work.  The script is written in
the csh programming language, which is not compatible
with the sh language.

Hope this helps,
Ryo