Re: [ferret_users] using REPEAT with dods URLs

There are two ways to do this, but I'm not sure either of these will work in a DODS situation! (Because of the possible interaction of the double-quotes around the URL with other quotes needed).

1) In general the best way to handle multiple cdf files is via a descriptor file (see manual). That would allow you to see the whole collection at once as a 4-d slab, and do any kind of calculation or slicing on it. Now, I've never tried this on DODS files, and I'm not sure how the double-quoting used in DODS URL filenames will interact with the single-quotes used in descriptor file filenames. Anybody done this?

2) I suspect the problem with your repeat loop is that you need an intermediate symbol definition:

repeat/range=1:2/name=m (def sym mm `m`; set dat "http://dodserver/ sst_($mm).nc"; sho dat)

Here, I have a similar doubt as above. Does the symbol ($mm) need immediate evaluation quotes: `($mm)` , and if so, will those work inside the URL's double-quotes?

(In your message you imply two mistakes:
a) a symbol definition must include parens: ($mm), not simply $mm
b) immediate evaluation mode uses back-quotes on both sides of the definition: `m`)

Billy K