Re: [ferret_users] OPeNDAP error with Ferret 6.3

Paulo and Ansley,

| This dataset is working fine for me, using Ferret v6.3. Please try
| again. The two Ferret executables, v6.2 and 6.3, are linked with the
| same OPeNDAP libraries, so they should work identically for accessing
| remote files.

I get the same error "OPeNDAP Error: Couldn't resolve host" for

  yes? use "http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/ . . . "

when I use the statically linked executable of Ferret v6.3.
The regular one works fine.

A quick fix is to use the IP address(s) of the server, like so:

  yes? use "http://140.90.235.40/ . . . "

because what Ferret is failing to do is to look up IP addresses
from the domain name.  You can look up IP addresses using the
"dig" or "nslookup" command; e.g.,

  $ dig data.nodc.noaa.gov.

What's wrong with the statically linked executable?
I can see that the two executables use different name-resolution
libraries and that the statically linked one fails before contacting
the DNS sever (to get the IP address of "data.nodc.noaa.gov").
I don't know what this means.

Regards,
Ryo