Re: [ferret_users] correlation coefficient using variance.jnl

Hello Ansley,
Thank you for the suggestion. I listed the different variables used in
calculation of correlation from both cases.
Variance.jnl calculates CORREL= COVAR / (P_VAR_MASK*Q_VAR_MASK)^.5

For case 1 (i.e., p = isoairs, q = isorama and correl = 0.2269),
COVAR = 0.4739, P_VAR_MASK = 1.506, Q_VAR_MASK = 2.897

For case 2 (i.e., p = isorama, q = isoairs and correl = undefined),
COVAR = 0.4551, P_VAR_MASK = 2.931, Q_VAR_MASK = 1.504

So case 2 does have values upto the penultimate step. Yet,
its not calculating the correlation. When these values are
manually plugged in the expression,
CORREL= COVAR / (P_VAR_MASK*Q_VAR_MASK)^.5
the CORREL = 0.2168. This is still different from CORREL case 1 (0.2269).

Meanwhile a friend mentioned that the different grids of variables
(isoairs, isorama) could be reasponsible for the different CORRELs. So I
wrote the variables out into a text file and read them onto the same grid.
This solved the problem and now both CORRELs match!

thanks and regards
Sindu

--
Sindu Raj Parampil
Ph.D Student

"Knowledge of the oceans is no longer a matter of curiosity;
         our very survival may hinge upon it"          John F. Kennedy

believed to be clean.