Re: [ferret_users] ferret hanging randomly(?) with set mode meta

Hi Paul-
I think the only real solution will come when we get a new Ferret executable for the Mac. OS 10.5 is a long way from the OS that the available executable was built on .

There is some work going on to build Ferret again on the Mac. Our group hasn't had funding for this effort, but we have been able to work on it a bit, and Andy Jacobson still has his mind on this and has continued to try building Ferret on it as his time allows. He did say recently that as the Mac OS gets farther and farther from the one that our existing 5.7 executable was built on, he also sees more crashes. We do have some ideas and will certainly make an announcement when we have a new executable available.

Ansley

Paul Young wrote:
Hi all,

I'm having problems with ferret occasionally hanging after I type SET MODE META and run a script with plotting commands, and I have to kill the process from the command line. When I do not SET MODE META the plot is produced perfectly. Sometimes, I can get the plot to work if I change some of the variables in my plotting script (e.g. change LET size = 0.11 to LET size = 0.109), though this does not always work.

I've included an illustrative example below. This one is very strange as the SET MODE META works on my Mac desk top (10G RAM) but not on my lap top (2G RAM - wierd memory issue?); producing the plots without SET MODE META works on both.

Any help or experience with this much appreciated! I'm using ferret v5.70 (alpha) on Intel Macs, OS 10.5.8

Thanks,

Paul

yes? SET MODE META
yes? go my_script
(then ferret hangs on 80-100% processor use; works fine without SET MODE META though)

-----
my_script.jnl

!
! plot_delta_o3_bl.jnl
!
!

!Load 6 yearly files of 4D netcdf model data
use "path_to_file" (etc)

!Convert to ppbv
let ozone = o3*(28.966/48.)*1E9

!PLOTS
!
go portrait3x4_letter2.jnl
set region/x=-180:180
palette blue_orange

ppl cross,2

!levels
define symbol lv = (-12,12,2)

!views etc
!
let views1 = ysequence({"r1a","r1b","r2a","r2b","r3a","r3b"})
let id1 = ysequence({2,2,4,4,6,6})   !id1 - id2
let id2 = ysequence({1,1,3,3,5,5})
let imon = ysequence({1,7,1,7,1,7})  !month?
let j_end = `views1,return=jend`

!titles
let size = 0.11                       !Label size
let ptitle = ysequence({"@AS(a) ISOP-BASE, Jan",\
                     "@AS(b) ISOP-BASE, Jul",\
                     "@AS(c) BOTH-ANTH, Jan",\
                     "@AS(d) BOTH-ANTH, Jul",\
                     "@AS(e) BOTHcc-ANTHcc, Jan",\
                     "@AS(f) BOTHcc-ANTHcc, Jul" })

!Plot Delta O3 for Jan and Jul
!
repeat/range=1:`j_end`:1/name=jj  \
  (define symbol yyy = `jj`     ;\
   set view `views1[j=($yyy)]`  ;\
   go margins 0.4 1.4 0.6 0.6   ;\
   fill/hlimits=-180:180:50/vlimits=-90:90:20/\
     k=15:19/l=`imon[j=($yyy)]`/\
     lev=($lv)/set \
((ozone[d=`id1[j=($yyy)]`,z=@ave] - ozone[d=`id2[j=($yyy)]`,z=@ave])) ;\
   go plot_clean                ;\
   ppl title " "                       ;\
   ppl ylab ""                       ;\
   ppl xlab ""                       ;\
   ppl axlint,2,2                 ;\
   ppl axnmtc,4,1              ;\
   ppl fill                     ;\
   go land                      ;\
   label 0, 105, 0, 0, `size*1.69`,`ptitle[j=($yyy)]` ;\
   ppl shaset reset             ;\
  )