Re: [ferret_users] time interpolation - missing values

Title: time interpolation - missing values
Hi Frederic,
You say you have one file for each month. That sounds as if you'd really like to think of all of them together as a single dataset.  In the example for January 1998 you show, what you want is the first daily value from February 1998 to use in computing the 6-hour values of january 31, hour 5, 12, and so forth, right? If this is the case, you should create a multi-file dataset descriptor file for the monthly data, define a 6-hour time axis for the whole time range, and do the regridding to the 6-hour time axis in one step.

There are a couple of tools available for creating descriptor files if your monthly data is in netCDF files.  Have a look at the section of the Users Guide on descriptor files,  http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide/converting-to-netcdf/CREATING-A-MULTI-FILE-NETCDF-DATA-SET
and read down to the section called "tools for making descriptor files" which will tell you where to get those tools and how to use them.

Ansley

Frederic.Cyr@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi everyone,

here's a probably known problem, but I can't find a solution.

To feed a model, I need a 6-hourly dataset of many variables, one file every months. For some variables, I only have daily values, and I want to interpolate the daily values on a 6-hourly grid that I have. The problem is as the daily grid is defined at 00:00 every day, there's no value for the last day (I would need the following day to continue the interpolation...)

Here's an example for january 1998:

yes? let msli = msl[gl=msl[d=1], d=2]  !MSL[d=2] is the daily and MSL[d=1] is the 6-hourly

The problem is that the new variable as been defined for l=1:121, but is empty for l=122:124 (31day*4-times-a-day = 124 points)

Any idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot anyway!

Fred