[ferret_users] Vector plot: force maximum?

Long time!

I have a dataset with U and V velocity components. There is a river that comes into the domain that has high values that I want to limit. What I have done so far is:

let wind_mask = IF ABS( (u^2 + v^2)^.5) LT .08 THEN 1
let u2 = u * wind_mask
let v2 = v * wind_mask

vector/xskip=2/yskip=2 u2,v2

This works but it puts holes in the data. What we'd like is to have it so if a speed is greater than 8 cm/sec we scale it down to 8 cm/sec so the grid doesn't have holes in it and we can still see the direction.

Thinking about this as I type (don't try this at home!) I think I need something like:

let wind_mask = IF ABS( (u^2 + v^2)^.5) LT .08 THEN 1 ELSE
                  (.08 /  ABS( (u^2 + v^2)^.5))

... testing ...

It works! Ferret is Great! Hold on. I think it is working. It fills in the gaps. It *looks* like the scaling is correct...

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve
 Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Marine Sciences, 452 Aubert Hall       http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu
 Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302