Re: [ferret_users] Bitwise operations in Ferret

Paulo,

Thanks for the code snippet. After thinking through the details and looking
at how Ferret is interpreting the netCDF file, I think I have things
working. In addition to your trick of dividing by powers of two and
whittling down to get all the different bits, one also has to be careful
with the sign bit. In my netCDF file, the QA flags are stored as the netCDF
byte type and it appears that the highest order bit is being used for the
sign. So, the variable fed into your "f1_7" and "r1_7" arrays must be
adjusted to account for negative values. Using your syntax, I would need to
add the following line and modified definitions for f1_7 and r1_7:

let mds_positive = if mds lt 0 then abs(mds)+128 else mds
let f1_7 = int(mds_positive[k=1]/2^7)
let r1_7 = mod(mds_positive[k=1],2^7)

Your repeat loop can then be used as is.

For the record if anybody tries this trick based on finding it in the
archive...users beware. This will only work on data stored as type byte. If
the bits are encoded into integers with all digits significant, then there
will be possible information loss when Ferret converts the integers into
floats. Based on recent user group discussions on precision within Ferret,
my understanding is that all data variables are stored as single precision
floats.

-Bill